Changing Habits: What’s Your Why?
When contemplating changing your habits or lifestyle, the most important question to ask yourself is: WHY? Why am I doing this? Why do I want this?
There are as many different and right answers to this one as there are people. And your answer is the quickest way to get to what lies beneath the desire and discover what’s at the core. It’s also the best way to keep the motivation going when changing your habits because when you’re clear on your WHY, it can pick you back up if your enthusiasm starts to wane.
Now there are Why(s) when eradicating an unhealthy habit and there are Why(s) when implementing a new healthy habit, and both can be uncovered with a few what and when queries.
To get you started on the digging process, grab a journal and a pen, and answer these questions. Use whichever question fits your current situation, repeat it to yourself, ideally aloud, and sit with it for a moment. Then write down whatever bubbles up.
1. What purpose does this habit serve? / What purpose do I want this habit to serve?
2. What are my reasons for wanting to change/implement this habit?
3. When I give in to this habit, how do I honestly feel afterward? / How do I want this habit to make me feel afterward?
4. What imbalances am I causing with this habit? / What imbalances am I trying to fix with this habit?
5. What does my life look like when this habit is no longer a part of it? / What does my life look like when this habit is part of my regular routine?
Once you’ve discovered your Why(s), repeat them often to yourself. You can even try posting your Why on your bathroom mirror, at the top of your computer screen or on your nightstand, where it can serve as a constant reminder of the commitment you’re making to yourself and your health.
My personal why for leading a healthy lifestyle is freedom and the ability to do what I love. I believe the body is our vehicle in life to accomplish our soul mission and if the body isn’t healthy or properly functioning, we can’t show up to our fullest capacity in any area of our lives.
So what’s your Why?